We have a new "feature." My friend Lizz, has agreed to guest write and provide us with some simple and healthy recipes. She and I share ideas, websites, and food thoughts on a daily basis and now, we are going to share that with you. Today, lets talk breakfast. This yogurt blend will provide you the burst of energy you'll need to start your day. You will need:
- 6-8oz nonfat, plain Greek yogurt *(I like Oikos, because it is high in protein and organic)
- 1 cup (or about 6) strawberries
- ½ a kiwi
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) RAW honey *(RAW is very important. Processed honey (anything that doesn’t say raw) is the equivalent of sugar, nutritionally. Available at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, some farmers markets)
- 1 tbsp dried shredded UNSWEETENED coconut flakes *(available at Whole Foods)
- ½ scoop vanilla protein powder *(optional, for hard-core gymrats like myself, or vegetarians, or if you want this to hold you over longer)
Directions: Mix yogurt with protein powder (if you are using it). Add honey and coconut and mix well. Slice strawberries and kiwi, place on top of yogurt. ENJOY!
Why this meal is good for you: • Greek yogurt contains probiotics, which fight yeast overgrowth, especially candida. Greek yogurt also has about twice the protein content than American yogurt. • Strawberries, among many vitamins, contain very high levels of antioxidants, which combat free radicals, thereby reducing the risk of cancer and combating aging. • Kiwi, along with antioxidants and flavanoids, contains more vitamin C than an orange, essential for immune system function. • Raw honey (not processed) contains antioxidants, antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. • Coconut is somewhat controversial. The fat in coconut is saturated, but the recent studies indicate that the composition of the fat, and the way it breaks down in the body, results in lowered cholesterol, and it is a healthy fat and a “superfood” for its other vitamin, mineral and antioxidant content. And seriously, it comes from a tree, so… • Protein powder can be used as a supplement, especially for those who don’t eat meat or do heavy weight training. Get one sweetened with Stevia (not aspartame).Trader Joe’s carries a few brands.