I enjoy Fall, I really do, but I without a doubt always find a way to get sick during this time of year. Last year, I found myself with a fever, shakes, and bronchitis. Without a doubt - it sucks. Never happens in the summer! ;-) Anyway, I've created a running list of things I need to do when I am sick (or feeling like I am about to get sick) - advice from friends and personal experience:
- At the onset of soreness, stuffy nose, scratchy throat, etc. "OD" on Airborne. Get that Vitamic C, Zinc and Echinacea out as well.
- Rest, rest, rest. Sleep is such an amazing aid to your health. When sick, I've been known to sleep 12 hours straight and wake up a new woman.
- Blow your nose often. Way better than sucking that mucus back up into your head.
- Gargle with warm salt water to soothe a sore throat. Do it as often as you can.
- Drink tea with ginger and honey. Lots of it too. Helps nasal congestion, dehydration, and makes you feel good.
- Drink lots of water.
- Although resting is a good idea, going out for a walk and some fresh air doesn't hurt. Especially after laying around for hours under your covers.
- Hearty chicken soup with lots of vegetables (this carrots, celery, onions, kale) is a must. Cook up a large pot full of it and consume it all day.
- Once you feel better, clean your house and get rid of all your nasty germs. I'm not sure if that really helps in avoiding much but it sure makes me feel better.