It's snowing and I worked from home today. We probably should have gone to the supermarket but due to the crazy fear mongers out there…we stayed away because we knew that the supermarket was going to be crazy. You know, the typical end of the world, snowstorm supermarket dash. That is one race I don't participate in.
I decided I was going to cook whatever was in my fridge. Luckily for me, I saw a post on my feed about sweet potato and quinoa cakes. Just a picture, no recipe. I took to Google and found three different recipes for these yummy cakes:
I used the recipes as suggestions and made my own with what I had:
- 1.5 cup quinoa
- 1 orange bell pepper finely chopped
- half a red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash Salt Free Onion and Herb
- 1 1/4 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes, mashed
- Coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions
- In a bowl, mix together quinoa, orange pepper, onion, seasoning, chili powder, salt and pepper
- Add sweet potato and mix
- Combine using hands until mixture sticks together easily. Note: The sweet potato is the sticking agent so if it doesn't stick well, you need more.
- Form the mixture into patties and arrange on a baking sheet lightly with coconut oil
- Bake 10 minutes. If the top is not brown, leave it a little longer. Flip and continue baking 10 to 12 minutes more until edges are dry and patties are heated through. Serve with your favorite condiments.
I served mine with a friend egg on top for lunch!