This morning, I read an article on the American Council on Exercise Blog and decided to provide a quick synopsis on the full article over on my Instagram page. Here are my thoughts based on the "7 Highly Effective Habits of Healthy People" article:
For many of us, Sunday is the day we reflect and promise ourselves that on Monday we are going to start "xyz." If that promise includes a healthier lifestyle, here are seven habits of healthy people. 1. Early to bed, early to rise. It's recommended to sleep 6 to 7 hours each night. I am always falling off the wagon on this one. I do realize that when I get to bed earlier, I am much more effective and feel healthier if I keep it up for a week or a month. I feel at my worst when I go to bed late and continue to attempt to wake up early. Even if I don't achieve it, all that time pressing the snooze button really messes with me. 2. Practice remaining positive! Happiness is a choice. Stressful events occur but how you handle them can affect your health. Ever since I read The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy, I have been working hard on this. One of his tips is to stay away from reading the news in the morning. The news can be depressing and if thats the first thing you read, you will get accustomed to that sad feeling in the morning. Instead read a book of positive messages or do Personal Development.
3. Workout in the morning. Uhhhh DUH!
4. Floss more! "Your gums are a good indication of how much inflammation you may have in your body." OMG YES. The bacteria living in your mouth are a complete reflection of your health.
5. Practice reflection. Whether through prayer or meditation. Yoga has taught me to be more mindful and grateful. If you don't feel comfortable praying or meditating, how about just sitting in silence and reflecting on your day. Make it a routine before bed. Then start counting your blessings, you'll feel much better about your day when you see all the wonderful things life has brought you.
6. Eat lean protein sources. YUM YUM!
7. Eat more than 3 servings of vegetables a day. Seven is a good number. I suggest having a huge veggie packed meal!