Alright ladies (and the few gents that read the blog)!!! Let's talk morning workouts. People always ask me what time they should workout. I always say, "whatever time suits you best" but truth be told, I think its the morning. And here is why. 1. Do it before your mind starts making up excuses. There is a meme around that says, workout in the morning before your brain knows what you are doing.
It's posted all over Instagram fitness accounts. Some people take it seriously and others don't but the truth is that if you train yourself to wake up and workout, you have the whole day ahead of you and you have already accomplished something most people try to find time for. You are already more accomplished that 80% of the population. How awesome does that feel?
2. It helps get you focused. Instead of waking up groggy and upset about your day, you wake up and take an awesome spin class with a great instructor, or perhaps its a dance class that makes you feel like a sexy beast or if you can't imagine looking at people, you pop in a DVD with a happy fitness instructor on screen telling you that you are fabulous... whatever it is, you are focused and you are sweaty and you are done.
3. Your metabolism kicks up early and your waistline will thank you! Enough said on this. It's true. Look it up.
4. You won't feel like crap the next day. One thing that kills me about working out late at night is that in the morning, I feel like poop. I feel like a truck ran over me. Sometimes I wake up with aches and pains and I just want to lay in bed. I can't do that when my schedule calls for a 5am wake up. Do it in the AM and you have all day to recuperate plus a good night's sleep.
5. Sleep! Wake up in the morning for a sweaty and fun workout and I guarantee you will sleep like a baby at bed time. Promise.
6. You will look better than everyone else at work. Yes! Because you had the time to wake up, sweat, shower, and think about what you are actually wearing that by the time you get to work, you will feel and look like a sexy beast. People might even start calling you Friday! Just check out the person next to you who woke up 30 minutes before they had to be at work. Oh is that eye crust in their eye? YUCK!
Give it a try! If you have trouble waking up in the morning, start slow! I always recommend slow transitions. Start waking up 15 minutes earlier everyday. Maybe in those first days, you stay home and stretch it out, then the next day, you get up a little earlier and add a short ab routine to that stretch. Before you know it, you will have a full morning workout schedule!
Do it. It's what all the cool kids do.